Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spicy

Tonight I invented a pasta sauce. It was mostly red wine and all of the vaguely Italian spices I inherited from my friend who moved away the same weekend I moved here. That would be the last weekend of July, 2011. Which partially explains why, when I say "all" of the spices, I don't just mean "some of each" of the spices.

Goodbye, ancient paprika, oregano, basil, and nutmeg! You seem to have done more to texture my sauce than to flavor it, but at least you have given me an excuse to go back to Penzey's and spend basically all of my food budget there.

The next phase of my use-all-the-old-spices game will be Mexican food. I'm imagining something black bean-ish, with vast quantities of epazote, cumin, and coriander. And cocoa. That should use up everything except the dill...