Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Up up up up up

The last few days have been fabulous. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but there you go. Here is a summary of things that contributed to fabulosity:

Monday the Divine Love seminar moved back into the cozy seminar room instead of the impersonal large classroom. As a result (I think), our discussion was lively and engaged. Immediately following seminar, I ordered a pizza and had a fun meeting with three other musicologists to plot our Distinguished Lecture Series for next year. Yeah, I know, this doesn't sound like fun to you. Even less so when I explain that the meeting was about funding. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it because it made me feel like I was getting something done, something that would affect other people in some way. Sweet.


Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in over a week (not counting the time I went and basically stood around feeling unmotivated for 30 minutes before walking home again), and it really jump-started my cheerful and my enthusiastic. I do believe in exercise, I do, I do, I do believe in exercise. And also spooks. I was in such a good mood after exercising that my 1.5 hour bus ride to Ye Olde Tea Shoppe didn't even faze me. I did experience the obligatory guilt that wracks me whenever I'm late for anything, but it passed. My tea companions didn't seem to mind. They were The Mysterious X, as usual, and a friend who has yet to be encoded. I am still deciding between "Peaches" and "Cream;" the other name will affix to her significant other. Right now I'm leaning toward Peaches, but I will take suggestions from anyone who knows them.

Four or five cups of Darjeeling later, I headed home to write my Meet Me in St. Louis paper. It flowed easily and quickly, which makes me think it actually was crap, but as of now I still assess it as pleasant and delightful. I had guzzled the caffeinated tea under the impression that I would need to stay up all night to write said paper, but my productivity knew no bounds, and I was well over half done when Z2 and Gris arrived for red wine and Settlers of Catan. This marked the second day in a row on which I welcomed colleagues into my home, making them all feel more like friends. Which, I believe, they all are. After a good game (read: a game I won), they headed home and I, just as easily as before, churned out more paper. I was done before midnight, but still so hopped up on caffeine that I stayed awake until around 2 AM. Even that didn't shake my mood, though, and I maintained cheer until falling asleep.

Today I left for school before 9 AM, an unusual occurrence to say the least; leaving the house early makes me feel good even when dog tired. School was completely positive from 9:35, when I arrived, until 6:04, when I left. Class was engaging and entertaining, my voice lesson was both productive and hilarious, and the time when I was not involved in either of those activities was much less frantic than I anticipated. Plus there were cookies.

After school, I cooked a real meal for the first time in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages. A salad, entrée, side dish, and a beverage, all delicious. Well, the side dish was rice, so a bit boring but still good. To go with the meal, what could be better than finally arriving at Once More, With Feeling in my Buffy re-view? Or in this case, perhaps I should spell it revue. So many things to adore about this episode, and I have often rhapsodized on it in person, so I won't repeat the gibbering now, but one thing must be said: Joss Whedon's lyrics are way better than Richard Rodgers'. That's right; I compared a TV writer to a Golden Age Broadway legend and the TV guy won.

And those are some of the highlights of my fabulous days. Not big things, I grant you, but if you scroll back up you'll recall that I don't know why they added up to such a good attitude. I'm just grateful.

No comments: